Thursday, January 17, 2013

Cool Guy- Muhammad Ali


He was simultaneously the most reviled and most revered sportsman in America.  The living embodiment of a n all-American Horatio Alger rags to riches, you can be whatever you can achieve in America story while at the same time misunderstood and vilified for his religious beliefs and his very public stand against racism in the US and the Vietnam war.  Still, he was the greatest boxer ever.

Since his retirement from boxing and the onset of Parkinson's disease Ali has dedicated his life to promoting social causes, especially those focused on children and the Muhammad Ali Foundation located in Louisville which focuses on peace and and social responsibility.

By his autobiography he described himself as "the greatest, not the smartest."

Toad  

For the first time in 2013 I spent time outside yesterday.  I think I'll live, and by doing so may I offer hope to all who are suffering.  This too shall pass.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh please feel better, I hate thinking of you and your bride feeling so low, for so long.

Try as I may, I cannot understand the glory in the photo. The objective of the "sport" is lost on me.

-F

Suburban Princess said...

I'm glad to hear you are on the mend.

I do love a good boxing match - it's like Gladiator but with doctors on hand.