Tuesday, April 10, 2012

raising the roof


When the student is ready the teacher will come, or in my case the builder. Six years ago, in honor of my bride's love of horses, we purchased the weather vane shown above, believing that having the necessary cupola built and installed would prove a piece of cake. That was a lie, as many tonics on the veranda were required to fully understand the intricacies required. It ain't as simple as nailing a doghouse on a roof.

Our pool house was built in 2 phases. The second phase was 22 years ago, when the building was expanded, and the roof replaced, and not a moment's thought has been given to that roof since. Time had taken a toll so it was time to pry it off and start again. This time with a cupola.

After the Fashionista saw the plans she ask if I was excited. "Not yet" I replied, "it's just talk until the job is completed."

The roofer is the brother of a neighbor who also happens to be a house builder. "Build us a cupola" I said, much like a Knight of Ni demanding a shubbery. "I can give you a $X up to a $XXXX cupola whichever you prefer", was his reply. We settled on a number and he set to work. In a few days the roof went on.


I woke the morning after the roofer left to find what looks like a cistern or perhaps a bathtub on my roof, and a MacArthurian note saying "I shall return." That was Friday.

On Monday I awoke to find the finished product.



I am now excited.

Toad

16 comments:

notanymore said...

This is quite nifty, Toad.

As is often the case in my blogging, I stop and start, and thus have so much to catch up on when I start again... *digs through the backposts*

Pink Benny said...

Wow....I REALLY like that. A touch of class it is. Good job!

Martha said...

A definite improvement! Perfect!

Anonymous said...

I'm excited too! Yay!

-Flo

Casey said...

Very nice, indeed.

Old Polo said...

As a lover of things equestrian I have to say that I too am excited about the new addition. It is stunning Toad. Congratulations on your follow through!

James said...

Perfect!

Gail, in northern California said...

Jeez Louise...no wonder you're excited. That is absolute perfection.

Some things have to be done just to keep a house maintained. They take priority. But then there are those things we do or have done that are purely purchases of the soul. They are what make a house a home, and each time you look at that cupola and weathervane, you'll smile.

Toad said...

I probably shouldn't be so easily amused but I love the weathervane. The cupola still needs a bit of adjusting, and the copper top needs a bit of patinization, but it's a start. All things in their time.

Many thanks for your encouragement

LLP said...

Just terrific. Nice touch.

Jane Kilpatrick Schott said...

Well, you can finally check these items off the list! Enjoy your achievement Toad.

Suburban Princess said...

I love it! Nice work!

Lino Kosters said...

That cupola made your roof look even classier. And that weather vane is easier to see now! These changes definitely accentuate the theme of your pool house. :)

Allyson Sunde said...

Oh that’s so cute! The cupola looks so amazing! It truly gives your pool house a vintage look. It looks a lot classier now. The guy you hired really did a great job. = )

Sasha Herrick said...

The cupola looks amazing! I bet your wife loves it a lot, just as she loves you. By the way, the roofer did a really great job with it. Did he ever mention that the materials used are wind resistant? Well, that’s useful for something that has to endure having wind blow on it frequently.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.