Sunday, January 1, 2012

NMP

I like you just the way you are. That is why I repeat this every January 1st.

However, if you are hell bent on making New Years resolutions have the decency and courtesy to avoid those self esteem destroying, I'm gonna lose 25 pounds by swimming suit season types. I'll all for self improvement, but self delusion goes a long way.

Allow me to offer the easiest resolution suggestion that you will ever encounter. It is in fact mind numbingly easy, it simply requires that you to change your outlook. If you do it right you will find its simple principles, will improve every aspect of your life. And its free.

With heartfelt thanks to my old boss, Hap Lignoul, and author Douglas Adams I call it NMP. NMP should become your mantra. NMP, as in Not My Problem.

Imagine sitting at home worrying that your doofus high schooler forgot his lunch money, homework, and scheduled 3 calendar conflicts. Instead of stewing about it, remember NMP. You're not paying the price, let him deal with it. Do not give it another thought.

Co-workers flight leaves in an hour and he hasn't left for the airport yet? Bummer, but its NMP.

Is your neighbor off her diet? NMP

Are Karen and Mary at odds? NMP

Not for the world, do I suggest you give up your kind, generous, thoughtful manner. What I am suggesting is, that if everyone worried about what was their own small piece of the world, and kept their nose out of everyone else's business, the world would be a much better place. Your stress level falls. Your blood pressure falls. You live a longer and healthier life. Your near adult children just might learn the value of price paying,and responsibility, once they see you love them enough to let them fail, HARD if necessary. Focus on what you are responsible for, and leave the rest.

Try it, I dare ya.

Happy 2012 to each and every one of you. Let's make this a wonderful, happy, joyous year. We deserve it.

Toad

13 comments:

David said...

Happy new year Toad!

Toad said...

Thank you David, and to all, Happy New Year. Let's make it a fun one.

Anonymous said...

Best wishes for the New Year.
BarbaraG

tammy j said...

good lord. such clarity for 2012.
my blood pressure and i thank you.
happy merry new year!
tammy j

James said...

Happy New Year, Toad

Anonymous said...

will take this resolution to heart. happy new year mr toad.

Old Polo said...

Happy New Year Friend. Here's wishing you the best year ever!

Anastasia Schembri said...

Happy New Year my friend!!
NMP sounds like a fabulous mantra, I might have to take it out for a spin!

Karena said...

Happy New Year Dear Toad & All the best in 2012!

We must get together soon!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Mrs. Blandings said...

I always welcome this reminder - wishing you a fabulous 2012. P

Toad said...

Karena I agree. I've looked forward to meeting for too long not to do it this year. We'll bring Mrs. B and David too,

Melissa @ I Pick Pretty said...

Wishing you the happiest of New Years to you, Toad - though if it isn't, NMP, right? Heh.

PS - That is the finest blog header I've seen in a long while. Viva Waldorf & Statler.

Clara Walmsley said...

NMP it is ! Reminds me of my mother's mantra NPR
(no personal remarks) . Must of heard it a thousand
times at the dinner table. Not much fun, but great
protection from older brothers.