Sunday, August 15, 2010

I saw, I learned

I didn't plan for this, but I must grow a beard.


After a self inflicted trip to the dog house in what will forever after be known as "the brisket fiasco", to soothe the waters, I offered a trip to Eat Pray Love.

This is not a review, I haven't read the book, I have my biases, so I will only suggest that if you want the whole theater experience, the Dolby sound, the big screen, the popcorn, do not dally. You are going or not going regardless of what I say, so enjoy. It's not as bad as "The Deep End of the Ocean", our family's nadir.


Back to the beard. I have worn a beard on several occasions, usually when I'm on my last tether and have given up the ghost. You see me in a beard, and most likely, I'm depressed as sin. But....



All the cool guys, in EPL sported that particularly stylish 4 day growth. How do they do that? By day 5 it looks scraggly. By day 6 it's itchy. Must they stay home 3 days out of 4?

Is there a tool, or an electric razor attachment? Need I stand farther from my razor?

I've never been, and have hardly ever aspired to be one of the cool guys, but after nearly a year at the gym, and with an upcoming junket on the Orient Express I'd better learn how.

Toad


10 comments:

Suburban Princess said...

Yes in fact...

"In the spring of 1986, an electric razor became available called the Stubble Device, that allowed users to have a beard like Don Johnson's character. Initially, it was named the Miami Device by Wahl Clipper Corp., but in the end the company wanted to avoid a trademark infringement lawsuit."

I am sure the shaver dept of The Source or any dept store will have something similar - my husband's beard trimmer has attachments for varying lengths.

:O)

Shelley said...

I dunno - there are good beards and really bad beards. It's important to be discerning in this area, I think. Bill sported a beard for years before I ever met him. Judging from his pictures, I thank heaven he was clean shaven before I met him. The Deep End really was the worst, wasn't it? Are you going on a train journey??!!

Toad said...

I was invited by Dovecote Decor to join her on the OE when she won the lottery.

ADG said...

I grew one all of last week on vacation. Then LFG demanded that I shave it off yesterday.

Toad said...

Mrs. T has made very unfriendly noises about my new bearded conversion.

David said...

Some of the Wahl beard trimmers come with "stubble guides" that should work for you. I'm a fan of the stubbly look myself, just cleaning up my neck and cheeks with the razor.

Andrea Kent said...

Andis or Oster horse or dog clippers work well for this.

TWJ said...

I have had a beard since 1998. It is only 1/2" long at any one time. In the summer it is 1/8 to 1/4 in length. Wahl makes a trimmer set with sizes, (read 1/16 to 1"). They are easy to use. Just determine what you want, i.e. stubby, and put on the No. 2 or No.3 size.

In those years I have shaved it off maybe three times. Each time my wife and children tell me to grow it back.

I have learned that I sport the Bruce Boyer look. If only I had his money and wardrobe to go with it.

TWJ

Deana Sidney said...

All these years later, hair stylists on movies carry that attachment to clippers and they call it the Don Johnson, it works and keeps a beard in the same straggly shape for days. A good stubble has a fine swagger to it... a blotchy one just looks, well, ugh!

Harveylhoy said...

All these years later, hair stylists on movies carry that attachment to clippers and they call it the Don Johnson, it works and keeps a beard in the same straggly shape for days. A good stubble has a fine swagger to it... a blotchy one just looks, well, ugh!