Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Frozen Grapes


Our peach and Kashi fetish has been outed. If this is news, Ms. Browning will explain here. In my defense, I absolutely, positively forgot granola existed. Is it still grown? I remember believing for a time, that granola grew on trail mix bushes, but maybe not.

I have another confession to make. We freeze grapes too. Red Seedless. Year round. As far as I know, we are the only earthlings to do so.

Try as you might, you'll never be able to wrap your head around the why of this.

My beloved bride snacks on a bowlful overnight, in her sleep. I used to wake in the middle of the night thinking we had mice. Not so lucky. There is a boy expression, goes like this, "I wouldn't throw her out for eating crackers." He'd think again if it were grape sticks and stems.

Over the years we've modified the plan by destemming before freezing. That way I can sleep soundly knowing half the choking risk has been eliminated.

Surprisingly, they do make a pretty good snack while awake too.

Toad

11 comments:

Shelley said...

Granola is big here in England - probably big in Europe. It appears at every Continental breakfast buffet. I like the homemade kind a la Tightwad Gazette. I've tried frozen grapes - and I do still freeze them for future use in spice cake - but much as I love the taste, the cold hurts my teeth. When I live in a hot climate again, may be more appreciative and tough it out.

Jane Kilpatrick Schott said...

I like me some ice cold frozen grapes! You are never alone it seems...

Martha said...

We used to freeze grapes -- the little green ones -- they are yummy! It was in our "frugal" days and when they were on sale . . . . but alas, we got more flush and stopped doing that!

Out Of A Bandbox said...

We freeze. My children love them.

JMW said...

I can remember my mom freezing white/green grapes - not sure why, but I remember it being a tasty snack. I love granola - especially as a topping on vanilla yogurt. Yum!

SouthernProletariat said...

Nothing better on a hot day! Yum!

Deana Sidney said...

Well, I freeze tart cherries and they are wonderful in that half-frozen state. They make a lovely snack. Would you prefer your wife ate potato chips in bed? Aren't grapes better for her? Smart girl!

Silk Regimental said...

Ohhh... flashback. We had friends in Michigan, in the 70s when they got stoned - frozen green grapes were the muchies of choice.

Couldn't help posting that......

Dumbwit Tellher said...

Never, ever thought. Will now, I think that's a brilliant idea. Thanks wise Toad, Mrs. T too.

( :

Mistress Cynica said...

I make my own granola, but then I live in Oregon. I think it's the law.

mamacita said...

They are the most perfect snack ever to take to the pool.