Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Why not get hurt too?



Not even deep down, actually very close to the surface, I despise my daily routine at the gym. That said, I am glad I go. Builds moral fiber.

Thus far I've been fortunate that I haven't hurt anything permanently. So I decided why not tempt the gods, just to see if they are paying attention.

Today I start yoga class.

Mrs. T and I tried this several years ago. I silently cursed every minute in class, yet curiously left exhilarated. Fat men are not (yet) as limber as the young women who populate these classes. It is certainly not a competitive activity, but still I hope to keep up. I'm near certain to tear something, most likely something I've never seen.

Wish me luck. If this doesn't work, I may have to resort to Tai Chi.

Toad

13 comments:

Jg. for FatScribe said...

good luck, Toad. thought about it myself, but then better judgement pulled me away from the precipice -- my gut would indeed cause me to get hurt as you say.

Shelley said...

You will have a natural ability somewhere. Mine is certainly not speed, but rather endurance; that had to be earned. Mine is not strength, but there has never been a time in my life when I couldn't touch my toes. My main motivation when I exercise these days is not vanity (but it is a close second). It is realising that I will not be able to do the things I want to do as I get older, unless I work to keep fit. I want ot be able to walk, to climb stairs and (more importantly) to live independently for as long as possible. Take it easy with the yoga, OK? You'll get there faster if you do. Time recovering from avoidable injury is wasted. Find something that you enjoy!

Suburban Princess said...

Awww you will be fine :O) Just dont push yourself too far. After a few classes you will feel yourself getting more flexible.

LPC said...

It's wonderful. Really, just give yourself a few weeks to get over any embarrassment.

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed! Good luck. The first few sessions are painfully humbling but after that it gets easier. Yeah you!! :) - KT

Toad said...

Shelley this almost pure vanity. After reading christopher Hitchens series in VF last year, I decided I could do this. So far so good.

Patsy said...

ohh, I hope you love it. I had to shop around for a class where I wasn't the fattest, oldest and worst dressed.

Toad said...

Patsy, I will be all those things. You're welcome to join me.

David said...

When you get good at it, come up and go to hot yoga with me. It's regular yoga like you'll be doing, only they heat the room to 110.

Brutal, but oddly enjoyable. Namaste!

Toad said...

David, my sil does that. In fact I have to pass her place to get to mine. Sounds brutal.

DAG said...

Good luck with the yoga. I did tai chi a while ago - it's tougher than it looks. Let us know how the yoga thing works out - maybe you'll start a trend.

sue in mexico mo said...

Namaste . . .

Anonymous said...

Are you nuts!? At our age the 12 oz. curl and walking the dog are the max.

Easy, Big Fella...

Lucky Dog