Friday, February 19, 2010

Remember the Costanza prayer?


Please God make it stop.

I've got a birthday coming up. I've had them before, it's no big deal. That is why I was surprised to get a save the date email this far in advance telling me of my early birthday celebration.

Imagine if you will, it's mid afternoon St. Patrick's Day. In my youth, my Irish mother made certain to make us understand, we were deep into Lent. ST. Paddy's was a day of fast not feasting. Then something happened. Ever since, our family has celebrated our Irish heritage in a more contemporary fashion.

So, I get the email I am about to share, joyously telling how tickets have been secured for the following event to take place, Saint Patrick's Day afternoon featuring one of the wee people so well known to the Irish.


I quote,
"Marvin Hamlisch is host of “Marvin Hamlisch Presents: The ‘70s, The Way We Were,” a PBS national television fundraising special featuring 13 live acts performing their big hits from the 1970s, plus video of the music and pop culture happenings of the decade of the 1970s. The special will star Marvin Hamlisch, BJ Thomas, Three Dog Night, Debby Boone, Marilyn McCoo & Billy Davis, Jr., Ray Stevens, Freda Payne, Guy & Ralna, Bobby Goldsboro, Billy Joe Royal, Peaches and Herb, Jonathan Edwards and Vicki Lawrence.

The television special will be taped March 17, 2010 at 2 p.m. at The Bezemes Family Theatre at Lindenwood University’s Scheidegger Center for the Arts in St. Charles, Missouri. All tickets will be $42.50 and will go on sale Friday, February 5 at 10 a.m. at the theatre’s box office 636-949-4433, at Telecharge.com or by calling 800-447-7400.

“Those who attend the taping must realize this is a ‘television taping’ and not a ‘typical concert,’” said Susie Dowdy, producer of the special. “This taping could last three hours or longer and might have stop downs and song restarts to get our camera angles right. The audience also needs to know they might be videotaped and photographed and included in shots within the special,” she added. The audience will not be permitted to take photographs, use cell phones or shoot personal video within the theatre property.

“Marvin Hamlisch Presents: The ‘70s, The Way We Were” will air nationally on public television stations beginning August 2010 (check local listings.)

This particular PBS national television special is a nostalgia program featuring the great songs and happy times of the 1970s. It is heavy in performance, but also includes “vignette pop-outs” featuring the pop culture happenings of each year in the decade…these brief, nostalgic pop-outs with voice-over will lead into live stage performances by various stars in the special.

Featured performers (through live performance) include:


Marvin Hamlisch - The Way We Were (1973) / Nobody Does It Better (1977);

BJ Thomas - Raindrops Keep Fallin’ on My Head (1970) / (Hey Won't You Play) Another Somebody Done Somebody Wrong Song (1975);

Debby Boone - You Light Up My Life (1977); TRIBUTE TO THE CARPENTERS: Close to You (1970);

Three Dog Night - Joy to the World (1971); Shambala (1973); Mama Told Me Not to Come (1971); I've Never Been to Spain (1970);

Ray Stevens - Everything is Beautiful (1970)--GROUP NUMBER; Misty (1975); The Streak (1974);

Marilyn McCoo and Billy Davis, Jr., - You Don’t Have to Be a Star (To Be in My Show) (1976); Last Night I Didn’t Get to Sleep at All (1970);

Freda Payne - Band of Gold (1970); Bring the Boys Home (1971);

Billy Joe Royal - Cherry Hill Park (1970); Under the Boardwalk (1978);

Bobby Goldsboro - Watching Scotty Grow (1971); Summer (The First Time) (1973);

Guy & Ralna - Put Your Hand In The Hand (1973); You Needed Me (1978) / Lean On Me (1972); Just An Old Fashioned Love Song (1971);

Peaches and Herb - Reunited (1979); Shake Your Groove Thing (1978);

Jonathan Edwards - Sunshine (1971); That’s What Our Life Is (1974);

Vicki Lawrence – The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia (1973)"

Who knew most of these people were still alive?

Makes you want to gag doesn't it. I feel like Ralphie in the bunny jammies. No telling how much Redbreast will be necessary to purge this memory.


Toad

13 comments:

Michael B. said...

I guess I'm going to have to miss Bobby Goldsboro singing "Watching Scotty Grow" onna counta I think I'll be chewing tin foil and rubbing a cheese grater across my bald head. But otherwise, I'd be there.

You just KNOW this will be one of those "specials" they'll show next fall during their beg-a-thon. I want to meet the guy that came up with the idea of removing all the regularly scheduled programing that attracted me to PBS in the first place just to show me crap like this hoping I'll pledge...

Michael "If I give you money will you make Bobby stop???" B.

Michael B. said...

Oh, I almost forgot. I have a spare cheese grater if you need an excuse to give this colostomy-bag concert a pass.

Michael "Anything to help" B.

Toad said...

Michael if you have a set of chopstick I could run through my ears I would be most grateful.

Patsy said...

My sister works for PBS, I could probably get you a deal on the DVD boxed set, maybe even the director's cut ;-)

bella said...

So, you are going, right? I would. I'm not ashamed to admit it either. =)

Toad said...

Foobella, I am going with a smile, on the arm of my wonderful bride.

Free Kansas said...

I'm taking that week off anyway (spring break). Want an excuse to get out of it? You would rather stand out in the cold at a parade with your grand-daughters anyway.

Toad said...

Let us hope Patsy, the directors cut is not at the wrist.

Gail, in northern California said...

That's quite a lineup, Toad...
'til I noticed they failed to include Jimmy "Margaritasville" Buffett.
Well, you can't have everything.

nanc said...

My first reaction was, how incredibly awful. Then I realized I know the lyrics and melodies of every single song.

M.Lane said...

There is a chance it will be a good time. I would like to see Peaches and Herb and Three Dog Night and Marilyn McCoo and Billy Davis Jr. There is no way I would sit there for Bobby Goldsboro or Debbie Boone. No way. Do they at least have an open bar out in the lobby? It seems the least they could do.

ML
mlanesepic.blogspot.com

BTW, my birthday is 3/18.

Toad said...

Remember that 2 of the original members of 3 dog night have passed.

David V said...

My condolences.
I am happy to say I have no idea who most of these folks are. Not because I am too young but because I spent the 70's listening to jazz.