Wednesday, April 1, 2009

April Fools

I was going to have some fun with you and plan an April fool’s day prank for all of Toad’s loyal readers but it occurred to me that you don’t really know me all that well and probably wouldn’t know if I was joking or serious so I had to rethink that plan. I decided to channel Toad and though that something a little more historical was probably in order. So with that, I bring you the unconfirmed origins of April Fool’s Day.

According to several websites, April Fool’s Day began in the 1500s when the Gregorian calendar took over from the Julian calendar. With the Julian calendar, New Years was celebrated on April 1st. Given that the internet and cell phones had yet to be invented at the time of the switch, many were slow to learn about the calendar change. Those who continued to celebrate New Years on April 1st were teased as being “April Fools”. In my quick research on the topic I found that many cultures revel in this day, each having their own traditions. In England, April Fool’s Day is only celebrated in the morning as it’s considered bad luck to play a practical joke on someone after noon. In Scotland, April Fools Day is all about pranks involving the buttocks and apparently the “Kick Me” signs which are still seen on many a sitcom or highschool hallway can be traced back to Scotland. Who’d of thought? In the United States it is said that if a girl successfully pranks a young man, they will someday marry. Quite honestly, I had never heard this before today but it is a sweet thought so I’ll buy it. The world could use a little more sweetness in my opinion.
Be on your guard today. If you are as gullible as I am, someone is bound to get you! Hopefully it’s all in good fun.

4 comments:

Martha said...

I've not heard about why we have "April Fool's" -- interesting! I love the day -- it's fun to play tricks -- especially on children who are so gullible!

Dallas Replacement Window said...

Smell-tests aside, there are always those people who fall for April Fools' Internet pranks, even those who should know better.

Unknown said...

her comment is here g5r21b3v02 replica louis vuitton bags replica bags wholesale hong kong s1t02w1w91 replica bags karachi hermes replica s9w93g5e51 replica bags philippines wholesale he has a good point i8q97e7z90 replica louis vuitton bag replica bags in bangkok p2r80o0w81

Unknown said...

g4k75h2c37 l6v48x8r76 i1o54k2s27 i9p70z4h40 d5p82e2q98 m1p55n2o41